Saturday, March 29, 2008

A quick rant

My thoughts on Gundam 00: Episode 25 will be posted once I watched it subbed. And yes, I'm watching it subbed. This somewhat pertains to my post here.

First of all, I don't claim to be fluent in Japanese. I've studied it for four, almost five years, but I do not consider myself fluent. That's why I watched subtitled anime. Sure, I can get the gist of what's being said, but I prefer to have subs so I get all the details.

But this rant has to do with translating text. I've always considered myself pretty good at translating text, but when I do translate, I don't put it on the internet unless I'm 100% it's correct. If I do happen to post a guess, it's not normally on a Gundam related text, and I write that it MIGHT NOT BE CORRECT.

While I think that we should be grateful that people do take time to translate for us and what not, but we should also be cautious that it might be translated wrong. Unfortunately, this can lead to a, as my roomie Laura likes to say, WEB OF LIES. I.e., that's how rumors start. People can accidentally make mistakes in translating, but as Lockon said, humans make mistakes, and I'm not saying that we should jump down people's throats because they translated something wrong. I'm just pointing out that translations can be wrong, and that translating can be a tricky thing indeed.

1 comment:

Annoymous said...

its pretty a very sad ending in episode 25